Ask Yourself

How much would somebody have to pay you to sit strapped in a seat for 10 hours, while you were bitten ~100 times by chubby, crunchy, blood-sucking insects? (For some added fun, we can throw in some “there are no bugs!” mind games and verbal attacks.)

Now, what if you paid over $1000 for that? It feels like some sort of Chinese water torture ponzi scheme!

Two questions arise:

• How do you make it right for each of those individuals to whom this has already occurred? And more importantly:
  • How do you make sure nobody ever has to go through this in the future?

My answer to that is: Share your experiences! So I built this site, to share mine with you. Go to Flight 1.

Comments

1. Andy says:

This website is about a passenger of BA who got bitten by bedbugs – and the comments should be relating to this incident only. So please knock off the racism and try to get back to the main issue.
    For me as a Singaporean, it is absolutely unacceptable that there are bedbugs in any airline or hotel room, but I am aware that, in some corners of the world, you might get into contact with this pest. But that’s not the main problem here.

The behaviour of BA is unacceptable, their service level has proven to be extremely low.

2. james casley says:

hahah I cant believe you made a website about Bed Bugs. Are you American? If so ill bet youll sue them for as much as possible. If your not American you probably wont. Anyway..bed bugs are good for u. Eat them like bear grylls would (:

3. John Gelden says:

On the first flight it is entirely feasible that someone deposited bed bugs or eggs on the seat and unfortunately this passenger encountered them. It is entirely inconceivable that on a totally different aircraft she again encountered bed bugs in her seat. She may well be the source of these bed bugs. The thing that shoots down credibility of the story is the immediately demanding of upgrades on that and future flights. To maintain credibility this passenger has to keep up the facade of fighting BA. Just clean yourself up next time. There is a good chance no ailrline will fly you anywhere after you make such a fuss.

• Shelagh D-B says:

Actually you are wrong. Its very apparent that she was not the host for she mentions her seat had several generations of bed bugs. That would not happen as a host. No, those bed bugs had been there several weeks already and to have grown into older generations and then to have laid eggs, they had also feasted on other passengers before her.
      It is becoming a world wide epidemic and everyone needs to find a way to deal with them. BA may have to invest in a few bed bug sniffing dogs at each airport to inspect a plane after everyone has disembarked and that dog can catch even one I understand.
      But these bed bugs had been in that plane for several weeks at least. I am surprised no one else came forward sooner!

As for all of the idiots commenting negatively on this blog, /sighs, dont you guys have anything better to do with your time? /shakes head and wonders about people today :-(

• Dave Baker says:

Are you a medical professional that examined the seat are you? How do you know you are right and other people are wrong? Simple. You don’t. Yours is just an opinion. Thousands of passengers would have used those two aircraft between when she flew on them. They would know what seat number they were in. Both seat 15 on different aircraft? The only complaint? What’s the common denominator here?

• Ryan says:

Triple dog dare you to take the seat of the next ‘discreditable’ passenger who complains of bed bugs.

Before you spout off your mouth attacking the credibility of this story, do a little research into the news about this appalling issue with the airlines and the rapid spread from continent to continent because no one wants to take responsibility!

Kudos to this customer who refuses to be bullied and humiliated by BA and is willing to go to bat with them so others don’t have to live through the same nightmare. I would only wish this experience on people like you, John Geldon, who need to learn the hard way that this is not only feasible, but a huge and under reported problem!

4. Heather S says:

To John Gelden…it’s not this passenger’s credibility at stake here, it’s BAs! To “airhead” James Casely…get a life! And to Andy…where did racism come into this??

You’re all missing the point.

5. Matthias Müller says:

Nothing new!
    The same problem happend on a German “Lufthansa” Flight from South Africa to Frankfurt on the 5th November 2010.
    I think it’s a generally world-wide problem…
    But at least the expensive ticket should be for free…

6. Roland Adams says:

A terrible experince for you.

The golden rule in marketing is that you turn a customer complaint into an opportunity to build the relationship by doubling your out of pocket costs. For example, BA might have refunded twice the cost of your ticket or offered you club class free for your next flight.

Sadly, BA like Britain is not what it once was.

7. Dawn says:

I am utterly disgusted at the “get rich quick off to the law office” attitude of some. Certainly bed bugs are significant pests to be dealt with, and they can be found now in many different environments. People affected should be treated with respect and sensitivity, but they certainly don’t need mega dollars of compensation. I have worked with communities dealing with bed bugs for 11 years (IN THE US). I can tell you this, there is only 1 way to keep bed bugs out of planes, homes, hotels, cinemas, hospitals, shops, restaurants, schools, etc. and that is to keep the people out. For those advocating a mega-dollar settlement, ask yourself how much you want to pay next time you buy a plane ticket, after all, the consumers foot the bill in the end.

8. Nick says:

What is the probability that a passenger should happen to sit on two seats both infested with bed bugs on subsequent flights ? I think there might be a link somewhere…. now what could it be ???

9. Captainbedbug says:

I was attacked one night in a crew house over 300 bites in fort Lauderdale, Was Not a SMART MOVE, rent a hotel room, pack your clothes in 2 1/2 gallon zip locks and keep your luggage on a luggage rack. If not you may bring them to your house.
    or Yacht.
    Unpack in the garage on a white sheet. put everything in the wash or dryer. I threw mine in the pool and then the trash at the hotel.
    Sleep in long PJS and socks the first night and leave a light on.
    Rubbing alcohol kills them so if you must sleep with them, have a spray bottle near buy, double sided tape your bed and pray.
    Enjoy, dont let your crew bring them onboard it costs on average 1200 dollars per room, Eco-lab is the only way to get rid of them professionally, dont even try to do it your self.

Enjoy Captain Bed Bug

10. New Bed Bug Protection Packages Now Available: http://bit.ly/i8nala. Use Promo Code MARCH5 at checkout for a 5% discount!

11. john thompson says:

you are an idiot. she experienced being trapped and having insects feast on her body…do you really have no empathy or compassion?…I actually think I know the answer. It sounds pretty miserable to me and I think most people on earth to be stuck on an airplane…stuck…and having insects attacks you…not 1, but 100…what an awful experience. I hope it never happens to you or anyone else. i’m thankful she shared her experience…

12. nancy says:

I flew from Hong Kong to Perth two weeks ago. Half way through the journey my head began to itch and by the time we landed it was down my neck, onto my chest and
    arms.

I had an interesting assortment of large round circles with white centres on my arms and something which resembled a river system on my chest.There was not one part of my upper body that had escaped this.

Antihistamine didn’t touch it and I had to have a cortisone shot.

The airline was Qantas but I am not going to complain. I’m just relieved that most of me has stopped itching and I can enjoy my holiday.

13. irene radda says:

On May 30, 2012, had a business class flight on LH from Newark, NJ, to Dusseldorf. Stayed previously at my uncle’s in San Francisco, and last 9 days with friends in NJ, private house, occupying same bed for both times. No problems. I could stretch out in business class, and lay on my right side. Day after return had bit of itching, but more severe pain on right side of torso, which my biologist husband diagnosed as insect bites, and my physician recognized as bed bug bites. I had felt some discomfort lying on my right side, but thought it was an uneven part of seat. Had 6 bites, which, even with cortisone and other salves, are still painful after a week. Lucky to have only 6 bites, so the infestation must have been fairly recent. My MD told me of a friend, from Vienna, who had to hold a lecture in NYC, and after one night in a 5 star hotel, was so badly bitten, that the lecture was questionable. I wrote all of this to Lufthansa’s complaint site, and was told that I would hear from them but to please refrain from sending them other e-mails on the same subject. You just have to Google, bedbugs, airlines, to get a lot of info, and that this is a known problem. If I have brought these thingies home, it will cost me a great deal to have my flat fumigated. Since the problem is known, and is worldwide, the planes should fumigate on a regular basis. This has nothing to do with racism or third world travel, I was in Africa in January, and in the Philippines in March, and had no problems. And least expected them from NJ to Germany. I would not think of suing, tho I am US born, but would have expected a bit more of a personal response from LH, after the price I paid.

14. Gail Weydert says:

Bed bugs are found across the globe from North and South America, to Africa, Asia and Europe. Although the presence of bed bugs has traditionally been seen as a problem in developing countries, it has recently been spreading rapidly in parts of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and other parts of Europe. Bed bugs have been found in five-star hotels and resorts and their presence is not determined by the cleanliness of the living conditions where they are found. ..:,`

Remember to look at our favorite web site
    <http://homelifestylecentral.com/index.php